Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- 1 lbs. vegan ground meat alternative
- 12 oz fire-roasted italian red peppers, drained
- 12 oz fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 cup almond milk (or other nut milk)
- 2 tbsp. cashew butter
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (1 tbsp for browning the vegan ground, 1 tbsp for sauce)
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tsp. salt (based on personal taste)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. red chili pepper, flakes (optional)
- 8-10 oz chickpea rotini (or other vegan short pasta, such as penne or gemelli)
- 1 tbsp vegan parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil, etc.)
- On the stove, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While the pot comes up to tempurature, place all sauce ingredients (except for the vegan ground meat!) into a blender and blend until desired consistency is achieved. If you want a thinner sauce, you can add more olive oil and nut milk to thin.
- Place the sauce into a medium sauce pan and heat on medium-low to incorporate and bring up to tempurature. Once hot, reduce to a simmer.
- In a medium-sized pan, add 1 tbsp. of oil and heat to medium heat.
- Cook the vegan ground meat according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the cooked ground to the sauce and continue to simmer.
- While sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to the instructions.
- Drain the pasta and coat with the red pepper sauce.
- Plate and garnish if desired.